Our Picturesque Landscape
Our Picturesque Landscape is an exciting project that centres on the landscape of the Dee Valley and the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and Canal World Heritage Site. It takes as its theme the inspirational journeys that have been – and continue to be – a feature of the area which is cut by the Llangollen Canal, Thomas Telford’s A5 and the River Dee.
Did You Know?
Visitors have drawn inspiration from this beautiful valley in art and poetry for centuries, and it continues to attract tourists in search of the sublime.
The project aims to re-engage the communities on its doorstep, many of which were born from the industrial endeavours that shaped the area but are now less connected to the benefits the landscape offers. It will also invest in the resilience of key visitor sites, and protect our most fragile sites, which are under pressure from increasing visitor numbers.
There are 5 main topics, which run through the project:
- Protect the natural and historic heritage features through conservation and access management
- Reinstate the iconic and defining views of the picturesque movement
- Interpret the heritage significance of the picturesque landscape to people
- Engage with target audiences to share and increase awareness and understanding of the special qualities of the landscape
- Connect and reconnect local communities with the landscape
Our Picturesque Landscape is a partnership project where all partners are represented on a project steering group and are actively engaged in the development of the project.
Further information on the themes and projects delivered so far can be found in the Related pages below.