AHNE Bryniau Clwyd / Clwydian Range AONB

Content

The Liverpool link

Loggerheads has attracted visitors since Victorian times. In the early 20th century Crosville Motor Services began running regular buses to Loggerheads from Birkenhead and in 1926 they bought 74 acres of the Loggerheads Estate to develop it as a visitor destination.

They established the Crosville Tea Gardens, building a large tea-house, adding a bandstand, a putting-green and other attractions and opening up the woods and riverside for visitors.

Loggerheads archive photo

In its heyday the bus service brought thousands of Merseysiders to Loggerheads on summer weekends. Passenger numbers gradually declined as car ownership increased during the Sixties and in 1974 Crosville sold the land to Clwyd County Council, the precursors of Denbighshire and Flintshire County Councils, who developed and opened it as a country park.

It is still jointly owned and funded by the two councils – and managed by the AONB. Loggerheads still has a special bond with the people of Liverpool and Merseyside.

Footer

Made by Splinter